Press "Enter" to skip to content

Discussions are underway between S. Korea and US related to their upcoming combined exercise

South Korea and United States are in talks with each other to start their combined annual summertime military exercise. Both the countries conduct the summertime military exercise in August every year. According to reports, this year the exercise will kick off around August 10.

The summertime drill will continue for three continuous weeks and conduct computer-simulated command post exercise. It will not hold any outdoor drills.Whether or how to go ahead with the military drill has been of great concern for both the countries as the Seoul and Washington are also working to resume talks with North Korea. North Korea blames the countries that such combined drills are rehearsals for invasion.

The schedule of the upcoming exercise is not yet finalized, said spokesperson Boo Seung-chan. He reported that the exercise will take place in a scaled-back manner. When asked by the media about the Full Operational Capability test, he said that discussions are underway. The FOC is aimed at providing wartime operational control to the Korean troops from US to South Korea.

Full Operational Capability test was planned by U.S and South Korea last year but failed to conduct the combined training due to the pandemic. Many experts in South Korea are calling for the cancellation of the military drill so as to resume the stalled denuclearization talks. However, the U.S and S. Korea government deem the exercise necessary to ensure the military readiness of both the countries.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.